Wednesday 26 November 2014

Simple or Senile......


Been cruising along getting into the work regime to fill the winter months. Had a couple of beauty frosts but generally not very cold yet although there's been plenty of showery days.
Leonie's working for a construction company, already hit her thumb 4 times with the hammer, Na she's in the office, in central Oxford so drives herself to and from work, 40 miles return each day, and has learnt how to use the bus lane and not get caught on camera.. yet. They have builders, stone masons and a joinery shop with a staff of about 160. One job for a private family has lasted 7 years, just built a chapel on site amongst other things and Leonies handling the masonry "bill" which has reached 4.25 million quid so far. Someone in the office said the pool doesn't look very big. That ones only for the staff. Getting near the end of that job but the word on the street is that the property owners will probably add another residence on site, about 3.35 million quid..
We save up to replace a light bulb...
Another job has lasted 10 years.... And it's not because of a slow work rate...

I've been filling in the day setting up a new car sales site near Bicester which means I only have to travel about 15 minutes each way in a work vehicle with no real traffic hassles. Been to the auctions with Spencer buying "Mota's" and should have 18 - 20 on site by the end of this week then we can run some adds in the local "Rags"... Would you buy a car from this man???..

Anyway back recent exciting necessary things we've done...

The task of......


Making Raspberry and White chocolate ice cream is a necessity......

Also keeping the fire stoked, Oh Yeah, forgot to mention been whack,n up some more pallets for fire wood. Got access to a chain saw now so No pallet, Not One, within Ten miles is safe. Nice and warm onboard...


 
Can slowly cook "Tucker" on the log fire...

And turns the  Narrow Boat into a "Junk"..


 
Complete with "Chinese" laundry...

When the new flavor ice cream is hardened... We used the freezer...



Time to add Custard and "Nanas".....

Another exciting chore, now it's icy, is to put a cover over the "Racing Ford Focus" windscreen which saves the pouring of warm water in the mornings over the windows to regain visibility.
A few nights ago by 5.50pm the ice had already started to form on the wet rear deck of the NB so drawing the short straw I headed out in the dark to do the chore.
Our boat is moored in a line of a few with the jetty on the Port side and the car was parked in line, directly behind, facing the stern of the NB about 7 metres away. So familiar with the task I alighted the boat got the cover, opened the car front doors, put the cover over the front screen and shut the doors to hold the cover in place. Easy as, that'll keep Ol Jack Frost off.
Same O'l Shit, different day..... So Familiar with it all could do it with my eyes closed...

So Why The F - C - did I walk onto the jetty on the Starboard side..... there isn't one there...
Didn't even see it coming.. next thing it's pitch black with a coldish feeling and I'm briefly sitting on my Arse on the mud of the canal bottom... fully clothed with the car keys & remote and my phone in a pocket. I later checked I never missed a call.....Also wearing my glasses which give me awesome visibility...

I surfaced and rapidly grabbed hold of a pipe upstand that holds the rear seat, managed to get one leg over the rudder and some how extracated the body from the murk..
Standing on the icy rear deck I'm thinking.. I've been here before....I checked to see if I could poke an eye out but couldn't... good news there..

Upon me calling out Leonie opened the rear doors...



Love the "Training".. just done another ten lengths... phone port side.. car keys starboard...

"Your not coming in Sweating like That" says Leonie...

Got to get my...



"Training Kit" off.... Then....

Just a......



Gentle squeeze... Freak,n getting a bit Chilly by now....

May as well check to see no one.....



"Snuck" a fish in one of my pockets....

Nearly there.....



I mean what's the hurry.... One more squeeze.. If I stand here long enough I'll be able to take the cover off the car for Leonie in the morning.....

Hot shower and trampled my kit at the same time in the shower, like clothes washing in the "Freak,n Ganges".. ... Then into the washing machine, there wasn't room for me, everything dried by the fire, there was room for me. The phone was dead but took it apart and it shared the fire too and by the next morning was back to new....
So there you are.. Simple, Senile or just too Familiar.....



 

3 comments:

  1. You do make me laugh, Ray! I am so glad that Leonie ALWAYS has the camera ready when you are dipping ...
    Sad to hear though that you are both working!
    Make your way to the Crown Inn at Church Enstone for Sunday lunch or dinner any night. When you are there, go and look at the house two doors down - it's where David and I lived for 2 years on our senior OE back in 2006 and 07. It was a struggle to be so far away from the pub ... If you see Tony or Caroline at the pub, please say hello from us. Cheers, Marilyn & David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, well they say things come in 3,s but I'm not planning on another dip. Yeah Leonies the feminine version of Lord Snowdon with the camera...Working is ok, No stress here, just a way to fill time until motor home is ready in April. Hope to catch up when you return.. Cheers Ray & Leonie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you two, don't know your email, so here's wishing you the merriest of Christmases and a happy and healthy 2015. Peter's been in the 'cut' twice - must be a boy thing - once to retrieve his glasses - the second time - showing me I was a woos, because I wouldn't get on the boat on an unsteady plank. All laughs. Have a great time in yr new venture and u never know maybe we will catch up one day. Jennifer and Peter nb Mactra's Filia (presently in Hobart)

    ReplyDelete